Thursday, January 16, 2014

Summer Reading Charts

In an attempt to encourage my kids to read lots over the summer, I created reading charts to track their progress toward their own reading goals.  Each child set a goal for how many books they wanted to read, then wrote the title on a shape and stuck it on their chart.  If a book was harder than their reading level, it could count for 2 or even 3 books (I told them that reading the Book of Mormon would count for 5!); if easier, they would have to read several books to count for 1.  They each got to choose a special big reward upon reaching their goal, such as a special purchase of something they really wanted to an outing somewhere really fun.  It was fun to watch the book titles appear and the shapes cover their posters over the summer.  I think we'll try it again next year!




No comments: