Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Summer Happenings

Some totally random pictures from over the summer:
 
 
A friend in the ward asked me to bake and decorate sugar cookies for her son's wedding reception.  It was a pretty intimidating project for me.  Although I love to cook and bake and try new recipes, I am by no means a professional and am not that skilled at food decorating or presentation.  Luckily Brent was very supportive.  I can't remember how many boxes of cookies we ended up making.  Macey's had a great idea to stack cardboard sheets of cookies inside sheet cake boxes using empty condiment cups to support them.  I'll have to remember that idea to use again. I was so happy with how these turned out!  The reception itself, held in their backyard, was so gorgeous that I am sad I forgot to take pictures!


 
Brent grew some facial hair!


 
Joshua asked Matthew to build him an "I Spy" city with blocks and such.  They've made a few of these for Joshua to drive his cars on.

 
Notice the progress on Rachel's top teeth growing in.  I'm so sad she's losing her cute baby teeth and growing up!

 
Elizabeth ended up getting contacts this summer!  I took her in for an eye exam with a new eye doctor and asked about when she would be old enough to handle contacts, which she had expressed interest in.  He said they could try some on right then!  At first, it was incredibly difficult for her to feel comfortable touching her eyes and figuring out how to get them in and out.  We told her to try her very best with them for one week, and not give up before the week is over.  It took lots of encouragement and support, because it was quite a tricky skill to learn and took lots of patience and perseverance on her part.  I was so proud of her for sticking with it.  It's amazing, because she is only ten years old, but she is now doing great!  She doesn't wear them every day, but is so responsible about them that I never give them a second thought.


 
One of the kids disguised as a pile of toys

 
One of the RARE times you see my hair straight and smooth!  My neighbor cut and colored it (she has a salon in her house), then insisted on straightening it as well.  If only it would stay like this, but it only does until the next washing a couple days later.  I have never been successful getting my hair this straight and smooth on my own, no matter how long I spend working on it.

No comments: