With Joshua's fourth birthday falling only 4 days before Christmas, it's always a challenge to make him feel extra special and not have the day just blend into the general before-Christmas craziness. I think we were successful! G&G Wilson came over for one of his favorite meals, German Pancake. He was thrilled with his presents. We kept it really simple with cupcakes, and that was great.
I really made an effort to use NON Christmas wrapping paper.
Opening his birthday card from Elizabeth. She makes really cute cards.
New cars and trucks-- with lights and sounds! He was especially excited about the "apple juice truck" (tanker truck) and ambulance.
The three girls prepared their own happy birthday song to sing to Joshua.
His first very own Lego set (not Duplos). It was right up his alley, with a fire truck, ambulance, and police motorcycle, plus related minifigures. Matthew quickly helped him put it all together. I can tell Joshua is going to be a natural Lego builder like his brother! It's neat to see them share this common interest.
Actually, Joshua's biggest present was a new "big boy" room (which we actually finished a few days after Christmas). He was sleeping in a toddler bed, but still had his crib, rocker, and changing table in his room, and we had never painted it or anything! He had been ferociously attached to his baby blanket, which he would suck on for comfort and to go to sleep. So I thought that making his room seem like a big boy room would help ease the transition away from the baby blanket. On his birthday, he opened up a new comforter for his bed, and we told him we'd be making his room into a "big boy" room. He went and got his baby blanket and handed it to me, saying "I'm a boy now, mommy! I don't need my baby blanket anymore." Whew, that was easier than I expected! He has asked for it several times since, but overall has done ok without it. The hardest part has been that with the blanket gone, he no longer takes afternoon naps, so I am trying to train him to stay in his room for some quiet time each day for my sanity :0)
Here are a couple pictures of his newly painted room and comforter (he helped pick out the tractor and car & truck fabric):
We ordered these peel and stick vehicle decals for the walls, which are really fun. Painting the road on the wall was a learning experience. Having done it, now I realize how I would have done it differently. Oh, well-- Joshua loves it, so that's what really matters.
Previously, there was so much furniture in there that there wasn't much room to move around. Now, it's big and empty, but we need to get him a dresser and a shelf for his books and toys.
No comments:
Post a Comment