For a long time, I had the impression that there was a Joshua who would be born to our family someday. Near the end of this pregnancy as we were discussing different names, none felt right to me besides Joshua. I just wasn't sure what his middle name should be. As we prayed to know which name was right for him, I decided to look over our family history and pedigree charts. I came across a short history of my great-great-grandfather, Joshua Hawkes, and felt very impressed reading about this great man. I wished there was more to the history, especially a photo, but I knew that this was the name our son should have.
Incidentally, the original Joshua Hawkes is the father of my great-grandma Effie, whose piano I inherited (see story that follows).
After Joshua was born, I sent out a quick e-mail to family and friends with some pictures and information about our new baby. One of the friends I e-mailed replied that she, too, was a descendant of Joshua Hawkes! She later sent me an e-mail with a lengthier history as well as this photo attached. I was so touched by the tender mercies of the Lord. He is aware of my family. I am also so thankful for this special baby that was sent to our family. Someday I will learn the reason why he in particular was given this name. Also, someday our Joshua will meet his great-great-great-grandfather.
Joshua Hawkes with his first wife, Mary Williams. We are descendants of his second wife, Sarah Ann Smart.
2 comments:
What a cute baby! We're getting excited to see everyone in Alabama. It sounds like it's going to be really fun.
This is random, but a long time ago John and I ate dinner at your mom's with you and Brent, and she made some really good spaghetti. It had several different kinds of veggies. By any chance, do you have the recipe?
Thanks,
Nicole
Sarah, it's your SF neighbor from just before you moved. Your fam.is growing up so much and little Joshua is so cute. Check out our blog and see our baby girl. Btsusov-summerblog.blogspot.com
Post a Comment